The Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Pantami, on Friday, disclosed condition that would make the National Identity Management Commission review the enrolment process for the National Identification Number.
Pantami said the enrolment process will be reviewed if the Federal Government impose a fresh lockdown amid the second wave of the coronavirus pandemic.
He noted that the ministry will meet with NIMC and telecommunication operators if the federal government decides to declare a fresh lockdown and review the NIN linkage to SIM cards exercise.
The Minister stated this on Friday while speaking on Channels Television’s Politics Today programme.
He said, “If a second lockdown is enforced, then, the ministerial taskforce including NIMC and all mobile network operators will sit immediately and review. The task force meets usually within one week.”
“So, when there is a second lockdown, we are citizens, we must respect the Federal Government’s directives. When there is an announcement, we will come back to the drawing board immediately and review the whole thing. But now, it has not been announced and these (Covid-19) guidelines are to be respected.”
He further stated that the ministry and NIMC are working on reviewing the enrolment process for NIN and linkage to SIM cards.
The Federal Government had said telcos subscribers with NIN have January 19 as the deadline to link their NIN with their SIM cards while subscribers without NIN have until February 9 to do so.
Recall that the Minister had earlier claimed that the registration for the National Identification Number takes five minutes.