Man Utd’s Cavani Banned For Three Games For Instagram Post

CAVANI Utd 300x169 - Man Utd’s Cavani Banned For Three Games For Instagram Post

Manchester United striker Edinson Cavani has been banned for three games and fined £100,000 for an Instagram post last month.

Cavani must complete also face-to-face education after admitting a charge for a breach of FA Rule E3. He will miss United’s games against Aston Villa, Manchester City, and Watford.

The 33-year-old shared an Instagram story from a fan which featured a racially offensive term after United’s 3-2 win at Southampton on November 29, in which Cavani scored twice, including a stoppage-time winner. The post was later deleted and Cavani apologised.

An FA statement said: “A comment posted on the Manchester United FC striker’s Instagram page was insulting, abusive, improper and brought the game into disrepute contrary to FA Rule E3.1. The post also constitutes an “aggravated breach”, which is defined in FA Rule E3.2, as it included reference, whether express or implied, to colour and/or race and/or ethnic origin.

“An independent Regulatory Commission was appointed to decide the sanction and its written reasons will be published in due course.

In a statement on Thursday, Manchester United stressed there was ‘no racist intent’ in the post.

“As he has stated, Edinson Cavani wasn’t aware that his words could have been misconstrued and he sincerely apologised for the post and to anyone who was offended.

“Despite his honest belief that he was simply sending an affectionate thank you in response to a congratulatory message from a close friend, he chose not to contest the charge out of respect for, and solidarity with, The FA and the fight against racism in football,” the club said.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*