Professor Folasade Ogunsola has been elected on Monday, 24th August 2020 as the new acting Vice-Chancellor of the University of Lagos (UNILAG).
Prof. Ogunsola was elected by the Senate of the University at its meeting on Monday following the leadership vacuum in the prestigious University.
It will be recalled President Muhammadu Buhari had asked the embattled and sacked Vice-Chancellor of the University of Lagos (UNILAG), Prof. Toyin Ogundipe to step aside.
Naija News reports that Buhari also directed the Pro-Chancellor of the institution, Dr. Wale Babalakin to recuse himself from official duties and constituted a special visitation panel to look into the leadership crisis in UNILAG.
Earlier, the UNILAG governing council had sacked the Vice-Chancellor of the institution, Professor Oluwatoyin Ogundipe.
On Monday, the Senate of the University of Lagos at a meeting attended by 167 professors, elected Prof. Folasade Ogunsola as Acting Vice Chancellor.
She polled 135 votes to defeat Prof. Ben Oghojafor (Deputy Vice-Chancellor Management Services) who got 31 votes.
Below are some important things to note about the new UNILAG VC.
1. Until her recent election, she was the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Development Services) of the University of Lagos.
2. Prof Ogunsola (nee Mabogunje) was the first woman to be the Provost College of Medicine University of Lagos before she became DVC.
3. Folasade Tolulope Ogunsola is a Nigerian professor of medical microbiology.
4. She specializes in disease control, particularly HIV/AIDS.
5. She is 62 years old, (born 1958).
6. Between 1974–82, Ogunsola obtained her first degree from the University of Ife. She got a master’s degree from the College of Medicine, University of Lagos, then proceeded for her doctorate at the University of Wales between 1992–97.
7. She specialized in medical microbiology for both her masters and doctorate degrees.
8. She is the chairman of the National Association of Colleges of Medicine in Nigeria and also belongs to several other professional bodies.